Happy Friday everyone!
Here is a little introduction to the MASTER MIND behind my parenting skills, Sr. Marion Wing.
Marion to me is A MOMMY! A Mommy to her Mommies, a Mommy to her Mommies babies and a Mommy to her own Human and Fur children. Most importantly, she has been my parenting advisor and direction pointer since we first met at The Baby Clinic during her Antenatal Classes in 2017.
She has guided me through Braxton Hicks, preterm labour (FOMO baby scares), pre parenting mental preparation, the amazing process of giving birth, breastfeeding, dirty nappies, immunisations & their reactions, teething, introducing solids, tantrums, cramps, fevers, sleep training, when to worry and when not to worry, just to mention a few. In short, Marion is the instruction manual to parenting that was never documented!
Sr. Marion Wing is a qualified paediatric nurse and midwife with many years of experience in the field of baby and mother wellness and fitness.
Her qualifications include:
- General Nursing
- Paediatric Nursing
- Perinatal Education
- Fitness Training
Her services include:
- Immunisations: State (on availability) and private immunisations.
- Weighing & Check-Ups: Baby weigh-ins and developmental check-ups.
- Feeding advice: Breastfeeding assistance and solid feeding advice.
- Home Visits: Home visits after the birth of your baby.
- Exercise Advice: Advice and support on post-natal exercises.
- Antenatal Classes: Antenatal / Childbirth education classes
(Consultations for your baby are necessary 1 week to 10 days after birth, and at monthly intervals until 4 months. A 6-month check-up is vital as a milestone and growth check. Then 9 months, 1 year, 15 months, 18 months and a final check-up at 2 years. Child health and growth is assessed.)
Her Mission Statement says it all: “I endeavour to offer and provide a service to enhance the care and protection of the infant and his/her parents to the best of my abilities. To maintain my knowledge and skills by frequent attendance at provided lectures and on-going education provided within my scope of practice. To provide upliftment to new mothers via fitness training and education.” – Sr. Marion Wing
When it comes to her job, Marion is serious about doing the right things and giving the right advice. She has never let me down on being honest and direct. Sometimes parenting can’t be sugar coated, and this is why I trust Marion with my whole heart (and my little sugar plum’s).
Here are a few tips from Marion on staying on track and keeping healthy now that all the kiddies are back at school.
- Remember to check your vaccination cards with your clinic nurse. It is vital to vaccinate children going to primary school, nursery school/crèche for the first time.
- 6 year old’s need an MMR booster and a tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis/polio booster. This is vital for the protection of your child and the protection of immune suppressed others and pregnant women.
- Vaccines PREVENT serious disease! School children are highly at risk for contagious diseases.
- A flu vaccination is imperative before the start of the colder seasons (around Feb or March). Plan ahead and book your appointment now to avoid a last minute run around.
Tips on keeping healthy:
- You child is never too young to learn about the importance of hand washing, which prevents contamination of germs. Teach them at home and at school to help save you from regular doctor’s appointments.
- Teach your children how to improve their hygiene habits, such as sneezing or coughing away from others and rather into their elbows.
- Let your little ones know all about good toilet habits. They should not to hold in their urine or stools and should rather let their teacher know when they need to go.
- Be sure to pack in sunscreen and clothing such as hats and sleeves to protect them from the sun’s harmful rays during break time.
- Teach your children how to apply sunscreen and that they must not to forget the tops of their ears and the back of their necks.
- If your children are not provided with food at school, supply them with a lunchbox full of good nutrition, avoid sweets and juices. Try to vary their meals as often as possible, impress upon your child to drink plenty water, and ensure they have a good breakfast meal before school starts!
- Take your child to a paediatrician nurse or paediatrician for a clean bill of health.
- Do a dental check-up, hearing and eye test.
- Make sure you have dewormed your child before school starts.
- Let your school know of any allergy concerns that you might have.
Most importantly, encourage your children to love school, it is a stage in their lives where memories are created that will be cherished forever.
If you are in need of any further advice, or any services that Marion provides, you can contact her on the details listed below:
Written by Daniella Diederiks
Information from Marion Wing
Phone: +27 84 387 2388 (Jenny)
Message: +27 83 229 6964 (Marion)
Address: The Baby Clinic, Kloof Road Medical Centre, Kloof Road & Arterial Road West, Bedfordview